The University of Cape Coast thought it wise to bring education to the doorsteps of clients by pursuing distance education as another mode of providing tertiary education in Ghana. The introduction of mathematics and science programmes to the already existing business and education programmes is to ensure that courses that can easily be pursued by distance learning are made available for whoever is interested.
CoDE also is busy constructing study/learning centres across the length and breadth of Ghana. All these centres have science laboratories attached. This implies that we should be able to promote the study of mathematics and science by distance mode.
The Department of Mathematics and Science thus has the responsibility of advising CoDE and University Management on the type of equipment and resources required to promote effective learning of mathematics and science by distance mode. In light of this, we would need to do the following in addition to the provision of mathematics and science teaching-learning materials:
1. Hire lecturers and post them to each study/learning centre established in the regions. There should be at least one lecturer in mathematics and one for each science subject (Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry and Physics). These lecturers, in addition to teaching or facilitating science and mathematics courses, should be involved in the training of mathematics and science facilitators as well as monitoring the face-to-face sessions to ensure that our clients get value for their money.
2. All course coordinators and tutors will be trained to fit into the University of Cape Coast system of training students in the various programmes. This should enable Course Coordinators and Tutors to deliver effectively to produce the quality of graduates that the University of Coast wishes to release into the Ghanaian job market to compete effectively.
3. We also need to have training for Course Tutors to handle practical sessions properly to equip our graduates with the skills they need to able to function on the job.
4. We have to acquire a mobile laboratory that we can use to go round centres to conduct practical sessions and for training of Coordinators and Tutors to facilitate the learning of mathematics and science.
5. The Department shall collaborate with the Schools/Departments of the College of Agriculture and Natural Sciences to write and edit modules and mount courses by distance, depending on the demand for these courses. We shall also collaborate with the Departments of Science and Mathematics Education, and Vocational and Technical Education to provide the right courses for those pursuing educational studies.
6. We shall mount the post-diploma programmes to enable those graduating with Diploma certificates to upgrade to the degree level.